Laptop has become one of the basic gadgets of house. But when it comes to purchasing laptop there are various questions in one mind creating confusion. So here is a best laptop buying guide to help you out. Price does not mean that expensive are always better and cheaper are not worth of money, it completely depends on your requirements or purpose. Furthermore, it should be clear that digital technologies ages very fast, so choosing right and updated product is being smarter.
Laptop buying guide – can be classified in four categories:
- Basic laptops: Basic laptops are low-range or cheapest laptops available in a market equipped with basic processors from AMD and Intel. It is economical and can perform every basic function which you need more frequently in daily life such as watching movies, streaming media, web surfing, social networking, mailing, online shopping, blogging, basic photo editing, working with Microsoft Office, video conferencing etc.
- Standard laptops: These are mid-range most selling laptops equipped with mid-range and above processors from Intel and AMD (both are big player in microprocessor market). These budget laptops can also perform all the function which basic laptop can perform in addition it can process faster than the above. It also supports more software than the basic one, so you have more options to perform different and bulky task. This laptop buying guide will help you out.
- Professional laptops: These are high-end laptops equipped with high-end processors. It can handle all the functions effortlessly that can be performed through laptops. It performs fast with great ease. Generally this is procured by professional players because of no delay in performing any task. Pricing of professional laptops are generally higher than the basic and standard laptops.
- Gaming laptops: Gaming laptops are specially made for gamers. It has more powerful GPU (graphics processing unit) than the other as many video games require high graphic processing. Price of gaming laptops are usually high and it can also perform all the function of above mentioned laptops.
Consideration before purchasing laptop:
Laptop buying guide – Primary consideration:
- Operating system (OS): First thing that should be decided before purchasing laptop is operating system. There are three big players in market regarding OS named Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux. You can perform basic functions on all these three OS but beyond that there are more exclusive functions and software designed for each OS. If you opt for macOS you are left with one big brand that is MacBook, a product of Apple Inc. If you choose the other, multiple companies are there to choose from such as dell, lenovo, acer, asus etc.
Chrome OS by Google. Though you can perform all the basic functions in chrome OS but you are bound to use very few numbers of applications than other OS due to lack of app availability.
- CPU or Processor: after choosing OS, depending upon your usage and requirement choose the processor wisely. If you are basic user then AMD A-series/Athlon, Intel Celeron, Intel Atom and Intel Pentium will perform better. If you are moderate user then there is Intel i3/i5 (choose the latest generation) and AMD Ryzen mid-series. Moreover, for high-end and professional users Intel i7/i9 (latest generation) and AMD pro A-series/Ryzen/Athlon serves the best. Minimum numbers of cores required are 2 for basic user, 4 for moderate and 6 for professional and gamers.
- RAM: More RAM helps in smooth multitasking and can handle more operations running easily at a time. For a basic user 4 GB is enough, for moderate user 4-8 GB and for high-end and gamers 16-32 GB of RAM is required.
- Storage: It is also an important component for data and file storage. If your processing and storage file size is large then go for high capacity storage or you can also buy an external storage. There are basically two type of storage disk available namely hard disk drive (HDD) and solid state drive (SSD). In short SSD outperform HDD in terms of Read/Write and booting speed. Some of the laptops are also available with both SDD and HDD where SSD will be used for fast booting and processing your data faster from HDD.
- Display: When it comes to display first thing is choosing its size. Depending upon your preference there are different sizes of laptop display available to choose from. Most common and most selling size is 15.6 inches and next is 14 inches. Some variants are also available in 17.3 inches the largest and 11.6 inches the smallest. There are also different size for MacBook such as 13 inches, 16 inches, 15.4 inches, 17 inches and more available in a market.
Second important factor is the display resolution. Different resolution sizes which are more common are 1366 × 768, 1920 × 1080 and even some laptop comes with 4k resolution that is 3840 × 2160. If you are opting for MacBook the display resolution is more or less the same such as 1280 × 800, 1440 × 900, 2880 × 1800 and more. If your preference is high performance graphics then go for higher resolution for best experience.
If you are long time user choose for anti-glare screen that helps prevent light glare on screen and eye strain whether you are indoor or outdoor.
- Touch and Rotation: Laptops are also available with touchscreen function. If you feel that you really need that you should go for it. Laptop screen panel rotation features are also a good feature which enables the user to use their laptop in tablet mode for better experience. Different rotation such as 0 – 180 degree, 0 – 270 degree and 0 – 360 degree rotation.
- GPU: For running heavy graphics rendering program GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is significant for users. There are laptops which come with integrated GPU along with processors but the user with more graphics load needs a laptop with discrete graphic card. Moreover, laptops with such discrete graphic cards from NVIDIA and AMD are easily available in market.
- Service (area dependent): Most important thing when it comes to service is which Brand gives better service in your area. Suppose if you pick out the best laptop and the brand has no service in that area, you are on risk because no one can guarantee over electronic product working fit and fine and need no fixing forever.
Laptop buying guide – Secondary consideration:
- Ports/Optical drives: In order to produce more attractive, slimmer and lighter laptops many companies started to pull back more number of ports and optical drivers forcing their customer to buy additional external adaptors to get work done in need such as Apple MacBook Air gives you just two thunderbolt-3 USB type-C ports. But still there are many brands who give required number of ports and optical drives. So if it doesn’t matter to you go for the one which you like the most.
- Backlit keyboard: This is an illuminated keyboard that features light behind the keys which helps in dark and low light environment to be easily recognizable. There are many laptop models which come up with this feature.
- Fast charging: though laptops with fast charging are few in number but still you can opt if you meet your desired specification if fast charging is your priority which also offers greater mobility to your laptop.
Few more things to consider:
- GPU: Gaming laptops have very powerful GPU, all the best PC games are graphic hungry so more powerful is the GPU better game-play you get. Two big players i.e. NVIDIA and AMD provide GPU for a gaming laptop. GPU price vary with price range stronger the GPU more the price. For playing in higher resolution, some games really need power graphic card. Also you can choose more VRAM that is around 8 GB for ultra gaming performance.
There are wide number of GPUs available by NVIDIA and AMD from low-end to high-end. To choose simply check out the GPU benchmark score before purchasing any laptop.
- RAM: To maintain fluidity while gaming, you need more RAM for easy handling heavy games. Minimum RAM required for gaming PC is 8 GB, 16 GB is plenty and 32 GB is more than enough.
- Display: For better gaming experience you need a high resolution (at least UHD), color accurate and high refresh rate display. Different refresh rate available in market for laptops are 60Hz, 75Hz, 90Hz, 120Hz and 144Hz/3ms.
Hope I helped.
Feel free to share….
For top and best gaming laptop (click here)